Thursday, April 20, 2006

A dozen 400s, thanks, and I'll only have a short break between those

400s again. Gah.

Early start to see the Horned One for a dose of acupuncture and manipulation. Worked pretty well - sitting here, 'Illie" and the right hoof feel pretty good, and were fine through the session.

Probably picked a bad couple of days to try to cut down caffeine. I was caffeine free until about 9:30, where it became apparent the choice was either a long black, or a broken nose from falling asleep at my desk...

Down to Kensington Park for 12 x 400. I missed the bit about the very short break between reps - it was 45s in the program, which it probably would have been if you were doing your reps in 50 flat!

Felt pretty flat through the warm up, and worse after drills. Then, I never feel good through drills.

400s went 78, 75, 76, 76, 76, 76, 76, 76, 76, 77, 78, 75. Thought I was going out the door backwards on reps 10 and 11, but dug deep for the last one. Big group tonight made negotiating traffic difficult. Utterly wrecked after the last one - took some time to get the breath back.

Very pleasing to keep the reps below 80. Average looks to be about the best I've managed in a 400 session, although it was 'only' 12 reps. Good to follow through with a strong session despite feeling tired, and some shorter events coming up.

Re comments on the last post: yeah, there's probably a good argument for taking Wednesday night reasonable easy. Given where we are timewise from Gold Coast I think I need to belt the Sunday/Monday combination to give that 'speed endurance' that's so important for the longer road races such as the half marathon and marathon. If it means a bit of a 'time on feet' cruise on Wednesday, so be it.

And, yes, HK, still off the turps. The hardest thing has been the social side, CR drinks at Customs House last week being a prime example. Do I feel better for it? Well, 5kg pretty well just fell off me in a month, so there was an immediate improvement right there. I haven't been sick in the near 12 weeks since I last had a drink, and was averaging an illness every 5 to 6 weeks - so, yeah, I feel a lot better for it. Just hate it, that's all.

Two easy days now before the second last SMC 5k of the current series. Could be interesting.

4 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Katie said...

12.... ouch! I find 10 bad enough! Haha I know what you mean about the recoveries... I think Seans watch is fast. Great effort on the reps and the alcohol front!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Superflake said...

Looking good there Vat. Hope you can push that 5k PB out at SMC this weekend. Good luck.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

LOl, I know what you mean about the lack of caffeine. Some days it's just not possible to function without it.

Good luck on Sunday.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Drills are an aquired taste. Worth persisting Vat - I've seen them make a huge difference to how fast people can run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home