Monday, February 20, 2006

SMC 5k

Horrifically humid (high 90s) Sunday morning, temp low 20s. Had been fired up on Saturday but did feel a little 'going through the motions' once I was up. Had a reasonable, if a little abbreviated warm up. Thought I'd try to go out at around2:28 - 3:30 pace and see how it went.

Race started and we eventually settled into a group of three - a young bloke, another CR, and myself. I had pushed to get onto the back of this group at about 1.6km, to ensure I didn't let them get away early.

The young bloke went straight on at the turnaround. I seemed to lose some pace in the 500 metres after the turnaround, losing ground to the CR leader, and the young bloke zoomed past me at about 3k. I bled some pace away through the climb to the 4km mark, and didn't seem to be able to find speed down the hill heading home. The leader and the young guy (who made another wrong turn, going right where the 25k guys turn, but he again turned around and passed me again) were out of touch so there didn't seem to be a lot of point busting a gut.

18:01 for 21 seconds slower than last month - third outright, second in the age group (which was a bit of a crapper - a fourth win would have meant I just needed two seconds to seal it). Bit disappointing.

1 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Good to see you are still having a crack at that 5k Speed. I reckon by the April race the humidity may drop and the PB will come.Keep it up another Podium!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home