Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The vagaries of GPS

Up at 6am, and on the road about 10 minutes later to tackle the same longer route to work I ran last week. Nice clear cool morning.

I was still pretty stiff in the upper legs and hips, and was having one of those mornings where the moment I was distracted I seemed to revert back to 4:50 per km pace. I managed to remain focussed enough to arrive at the bottom of the Lilyfield Road hill at about 4:38 per km pace (after waving to queen bee and Monty) and hit town at about 4:40 pace.

Hit the Harbour Bridge, after some getting some odd dropouts in the GPS, and saw the pace had dropped back to 4:53 per km according to the Garmin. I thought I'd gone okay through that section, so that seemed a bit odd. Saw expozay on the bridge.

Turned up in St Leonards after a diabolical run with the lights along the Pacific Highway (including a woman in old Camry wagon who drove right through the middle of a zebra crossing whilst I was right in the middle of it - I was wearing a CR t-shirt so I don't how she can't have seen me) in 1:36:16, 2:36 slower than last week. Never felt particularly fantastic through the run, and suspect I might be fighting off a bit of a lurgy - I was a bit snuffly.

GPS read 19.54km compared to 20.64km last week. I definitely lost distance through the CBD. Might drag out the electronic UBD and do some plotting tonight. A plot of the course is below:


Did another stability session at the gym. Core muscles were fine, but the push-ups were a joke.

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger miners said...

Mate, I hope it wasn't BECAUSE of the CR shirt that she apparently didn't "see" you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home