Tuesday, July 19, 2005

6 x 800 again

Tonight saw a repeat of the 6 x 800 session run a fortnight ago, allowing a direct comparison to establish progress.

Got through a 4.3k warm up in 18:56 in cool, clear conditions - felt a bit fast, and deliberately slowed it over the last km or so, but felt a bit flat through my strides and drills.

After discussions with Mister G during the day, carried the thought of 2:44 in my head for the first rep, just wanting to focus on good form. Session went as follows:
2 39
2 41
2 40
2 39
2 38
2 39
I battled from about the 600 metre mark of the 5th rep, and it was all I could do to hold on through the last. Average for the session was 2:39.3, versus 2:43.7 a fortnight ago, with a much tighter spread of reps. I felt pace over the first four and a half reps was coming from a good combination of quality form and turnover, which was pleasing. Very breathless after the last rep - I've no doubt pushing the boundaries on the cardio side repeatedly is doing my aerobic fitness no end of good.

Pushed through a 4k cool down in 19:42 before hitching a lift with Easy Tiger back to Central Station.

Good session - although still fairly consistently last, the group is edging closer and closer...

4 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Smokin' workout. Great job!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger 26miles said...

Vat, a great set of figures - keep up the good work.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger 26miles said...

p.s. what recovery do you have between reps ?

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger vat_man said...

Down in the book as 1m45s active recovery, but since I'm at the back of the group, I get less recovery! Last night it was generally 78-80 seconds.

Cheers to the running blogfather - nice username!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home