Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thursday steady state, and a new toy debuts

It was with much pleasure that I popped over to the Gladesville Post Office this morning and picked up my new toy, a Garmin 301. I do have a 201, which will be passed on to EliseS, but wanted a 301 for the heart rate function. I don't put a lot of faith in training to HRM, and won't be using it to decide training, but rather it appeals to my analytical side to see what the ol' ticker's up to.

Nice clear night again, with tonight's session being a straight out 4k, a 5 min jog, then a straight out 3k. Wasn't feeling fantastic - legs were a bit beaten up, and I have a sneaking suspicion I'm battling a cold. After a 4.13k warm up in 19:42 (ave HR 125) and some distinctly unenthusiastic drills went:
3 36
3 41
3 39
3 37
For a 14:33 4k (ave HR 162). Had a bit of a doze on the second lap down the back straight, then snapped out of it with a bit of a race with another bloke there. Five minute jog, then:
3 37
3 44
3 43
For an 11:05 3k (ave HR 168). Pace went out of the legs at the end of the first lap, and it was all I could do to hang on for the third lap. Even the motivation of chasing my 'nemesis' Gary wasn't enough to drag me through.

Did feel my form was a bit better tonight though, seeminly maintaining a mid-foot strike rather than the heel biased shuffle I seem to lapse into when I'm shot.

Actually, just looking through the diary, seems I actually did this session back in the first week of July, managing 14:45 for the 4k, and 11:12 for the 3k, so considering I felt like rubbish I probably shouldn't complain about the 19 second improvement!

Rounded the session off with a 3k jog and chat with Mohammed in 15:35, ave HR 129. I'll endeavour to check the resting HR in the coming days.

Glad I checked the diary - suddenly I feel a lot better!

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gidday Vat,

Good news on the 301....you'll now be able to monitor your level of anxiousness when disorientated ;-)

Sorry mate couldn't resist!

Gash

 

Post a Comment

<< Home