Sunday, June 19, 2005

Saturday - NSW CC's




Left Sydney with EliseS and Amjan for the drive to Nowra a bit before eleven. Once out of town, a fairly troule free run saw us arrive at the course Willandra at about 1:30 - basically, this is a CC course on a dairy farm, with the owner having built and maintaining the facilities. Brilliant set-up, well worth a look.

The women were away at about 2:15, so I took the opportunity to cheer on and check out the course, getting through a gentle 3.1k in 15:49. Basically, the course starts with a wide, downhill section before turning right and down, looping around the back of the carpark, before working its way left and doubling back on itself again with a couple of steep descents, double back again and then left on to bridge. After that is the first of the climbs, a short one out to the back of the course, then a straightish narrow road on the side of the hill before turning right on to the big hill, a 45m climb in 800 metres. The course then snakes back down the hill, with a sharp descent and a little straight before hitting the bridge again, this time going the other way, and then two nasty little climbs through the last section, with a quick descent before the gentle rise to the finish.

The women put in a strong effort, with KT managing to finish in front of Vespa.

After a bit of a stretch it was time for the mens' event. A good size field gathered, and after a bit of pfaffing around, we were away. It was a pretty frenetic start, with a few clipped heels and elbows exchanged, but the field had pretty well sorted itself out after about 500 meters. I slotted in about 30 metres behind Sportsman, a position with which I would become particularly familiar with during the run. I had a couple 1 3/4 lap battle with a fellow from Nowra who I finally put away just as I saw Sportsman slow momentarily. I drew right up with him, but had to back off after the effort put my heart rate right off - which of course was when he pulled away. That's pretty well how the last lap played out, with me putting in efforts to get close, and when I had to ease off, he would draw away again. He seemed quite strong on the intermediate hills, where you had to make the call about remaining in stride or 'changing' gears.

I came home in 48:22 for 43rd place. I was pretty happy with my overall effort, although the watch confirmed that the first lap was a bit silly, with laps of 15:28, 16:21 and 16:33. Chatting to coach SW after the event, he seemed genuinely pleased with my time, so I guess that was encouraging - it's difficult to draw conclusions without precedent. I was a little disappointed I didn't get Sportsman (he won his age category, though - a great run) and would have like to have broken 48. We managed to snag 2nd place in the teams, though, so a good result there.

Stopped for beers at Berry and fish & chips at Wollongong, and arrived back in the big smoke around eightish. Long day, but well worth it. I'd have no hesitation in getting down there again.

2 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Well done Vat on the race. Hills should help you out for Woodford2Glenbrrok next week.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger silverfox said...

Craig
Great effort on sat mate. I think sriders will have another real contender in the coming years(if you arent meantime poached by RB!). Keep on keeping on and run well next week. Good on you for turning up today also - long after you pay the price the quality still remains!
cheers
Nick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home