Sunday, May 22, 2005

The 2005 SMH Half Marathon


From Coolrunning - you think I'm writing this stuff twice?

After the North Head 10k, and the East Met 5k CC last weekend, I knew I was starting to find some form, with my cardio top end coming back and a bit of weight off. I mentioned in the SMH thread that I would be pleased with something under 85 minutes, but I felt I was in with a genuine shot of 84 provided I didn't end do something stupid at the start like I did last year. The plan was to go through the first 2km sensible, and then adopt the Lane Cove plan of sensible uphill, solid pace on the flat, attack the downhills.

Caught up with a few of the usual suspects of the start. Gun went, and we seemed to develop a little pack of myself, 26.2 miles, silver fox, leftie and I think we picked up Aimhigh as well. I was at the front of the pack through most of the race so I wasn't quite sure what the goings-on behind me were.

We went through the first 5 in 19:46 which was probably a little faster than I had planned but felt strong and completely in control. Second 5k went past in 19:48 and I felt very composed. There was a bit of an incident at that drink table behind me that seemed to break the group up a bit, but we reformed over the next km or so.

Third 5km went past in 19:49 and I think we just started to see the group ease apart here. leftie bailed out heading out of the drink station at Mrs Macquarie's chair. I was running with a fellow named Scott (I think) who is next to sailaway in the photos, an 800/1500m runner, and we were pretty well in lockstep through the second half of the event - g'day if you're reading this!

I was okay coming out of the Domain for the last time, but got baulked at the College Street turnaround, and the little interruption to rhythm seemed to knock me around a little bit. I just had in mind "get to Macquarie Street - once you're on the flat and into Hunter Street you can open up a bit and you'll be fine for a good run to Argyle Street". And that's pretty well how it happened. On the way into the turnaround I saw onrei who I'de been gently reeling in and gave him a stir up, which I think he took on board and used to good effect over the last 1.5km - good run, mate, good to see you back to form!

I knew the Argyle Cut was going to hurt, but got a big boost from the two CR supporter groups. I ran alongside a fellow in a silvery grey top and we gave each other a bit of support up the hill (I had some stiffness in the hamstrings through here, which was a bit of a surprise), and I knew I was pretty well right from there - I always get a good kick on from Kent Street there.

Fourth 5km split was 19:52, with 4:13 over the last 1.1km. 6 second varation in 5km splits across the event with a 3:50 per km pace last 1.1km. As mentioned, two little rough patches which I was able to overcome, but I felt so good through the second 5km I think I knew a PB was on the cards. Managed to take about 16s off it, to managed 83:23.

Thanks to the fellow pack members - silver fox, leftie, 26.2miles and Aimhigh. We had a good competitive comradery going there, and I know from my perspective I felt I was able to run my own race whilst also getting the support - the best of both worlds, if you will. Nice shot of the group here.



Thanks also to the CR support group - how good were the banners and pom-poms?!?

It was a bit of an eye-opener at the pub. Last year I think there were five or six of us, this year, well, it must have been 20-30. Good stuff.

I also had a nice highlight after the run. I headed out from the Strider 'safe house' (thanks again to the hosts, who did a great job yet again!) for a little cool down jog, and thought I'd pop down and visit the supporters. They mentioned they hadn't seen Lucky Legs come through yet, so I cruised out and picked her up at the Pitt Street/Circular Quay intersection. I ran with her all the way to the finish, including a bit of a dice with Linno which saw LL put on a pretty impressive finishing burst to slip home comfortably under 2h30m. Fantastic.

4 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations on a great run and on smashing your PB. You looked like you were enjoying yourself out there. Glad that the cheering helped ! Watching you go back and run with LL was one of the highlights of my day.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Spud said...

Vat, good to see you're back on track again, great race mate. This SW training seems like the ticket for you.

Cheers

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

Great run Vat. You looked very good out there and were running with your grace of old. I'm sure this will be the first of many PBs this year.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Excellent run Vat. Good to see your running well again after Canberra. Looks like Sean is pushing you in the right direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home