Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Canberra Marathon and Catch-Up

Okay, busy couple of days:

Saturday, April 8
Easy run of just over 5k at around 5 minute per k pace just to ensure any stiffness in the legs was run out. Left from Timbrell Park, up the back half of the 5k challenge course and back, plus a lap of Timbrell. First time in ages I've been around the Bay and not seen any other Coolrunners.

Got to Canberra around 1 and went to watch the 5 & 10k events.

Sunday April 9
Marathon day. Up at 4 for something to eat, up again at 5:30 to get dressed and go for a little jog - interesting to see the crew setting up at the start. My race report from Coolrunning is as follows:
--------------------------
3:25:17 today, and contrary to the listing I finished line astern with Blue Dog - take note, O Runner.

Went out with the simple plan of running 5 45 minute 10kms in a row. Blue Dog, Superflake and I rolled along pretty well on schedule at 4:30 per km pace until around 27-28k where we just started to bleed a couple of seconds here and there.

Blue Dog fell off at around 32 or so (outbound at the tunnel) and I let Superflake go as it became apparent the quads had decided they'd had enough and left the hips, hammies and calves do the work. I made the decision at 34km to not do the 50. I gradually ground down slower and slower, finally cracking it under the bridge at 40km where I started to alternate walking and running.

Blue Dog picked me up again with about 1km to go and forged a gentleman's agreement to cross line astern, and so we did.

I was pretty knocked around for a while after the run and really didn't get back on an even keel until I got a litre of Endura Optima into me.

It was a tough second half of the event, particularly the second loop of Parkes Avenue, and I didn't come across a lot of people happy with their run.

For me, this will be the last marathon I'll do for at least a year. I didn't particularly enjoy the last 10km, and given how far I've slipped since last year, I really need to go, get some coaching, and find some serious 10k speed before heading back out there and righting some wrongs.
--------------------------
I might write something more detailed later.

Monday April 11
Had the day off from work. We headed home from Canberra Sunday afternoon (with the great company of Kev and Uncle Dave). Got over to Rotary Park and shuffled out 13 laps of Lane 3 in just under half an hour, so probably around 5.3 - 5.4k. Felt okay towards the end, although the outside of the right calf is a bit angered up. Otherwise, not too bad - I've come up worse from some half marathons!

Tuesday April 12
Had intended to rise and do some early intervals, but needed the sleep. Didn't end up running - figured I was probably due a day off. Had a pleasant 20 minute walk part of the way home from the bus stop. Dropped an e-mail to Sean Williams (SWEAT Sydney) about initiating an on-line program.

Wednesday April 13
Ran to work - 10.5k at about 4:58 per k pace. Right calf still a bit angry, and still conscious of impact soreness on the lower legs. Might head for Rotary Park for some intervals tomorrow. Legs are moving okay - suspect conditioning from Six Foot track has helped, although I've been trying the Endura Optimizer and I think that's had a hand in it as well.

1 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations on getting through the Marathon.
After injuries, Six Foot and burn out you did well to get to the start line.
Thanks for putting up with me for 30ks and I hope to see you at Nth Head for some "serious speed".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home