Sunday, January 02, 2005

Happy New Year!

Welcome to 2005.

Been busy with a few other things on, like fooling around in GIMP to produce this, so the blog's a touch behind.

Saturday - New Year's Day, no less!

Being lazy, I've combined Action's description of the first half of the Berowra Fat Ass run, the map of which I gave a link to above. Here goes:

Action: "7:08 departure with Sparkie and little Louis waving us off. Vat and I discussed lawn mowers, and we then did the “good morning Dawn” call as we ran past Kev Tillers place a km or so into the run. Into the bush and Vat, Kanangra, AimHigh and I chatted and told golf jokes until we had to put in a sprint to just miss the ferry. Damn. 11:38 lost and the pack partially reformed.

As the ferry pulled out a few more arrived – and missed it - we cheerfully waved back at them… off the other side and 4k of up with AimHigh and Kanangra pushing the pace. Vat and I were close in attendance, as was Rabbit who had caught us at the ferry and kept surging as well. A quick right and a few hundred metres revealed the most magnificent Kev supplied drink garbage bin. It was here that AimHigh, Kanangra and I realised that Vat and Rabbit had dropped off a tad up the hill."

Me: "As per Action's comments until after the ferry, the group then proceeded to bash it up the hill. I elected to grind along at my own pace, figuring I had no idea what the terrain was like and that it was still early. I realised I had no map, so needed to keep the group at least in sight until the turn-off to the path.

Got to the castle in good shape to be joined by Jan. Had a bit of a look around for 5 mins or so, then headed back. Left Jan (who caught me at the drink bin) and saw most of the field heading the other way through here. Ran solidly down the hill and just missed the ferry with the group of runners Action had left. Jan and MPHaz caught up here.

Jan went to fill his water after telling us the path was easy to follow, 'just don' turn left', while MPHaz and I headed over to the climb. It was during the climb things went pear-shaped. My heart rate started to really run high (would have been interesting to see a HRM) and I started to feel, not quite dizzy, but 'vague', with some degree of breathlessness. I let MPHaz go and continued to climb, with a little break partway up

After managing the climb, things got really weird and I lost the path on several occasions. Just looking at the Garmin, I did one complete circle in the midst of my wanderings. I was getting a little scared (bashed up, cramped, not feeling great, lost) and sat down to have some cashews I'd packed.

Once I regained my faculties (such as they are) and had a bit of a think I used the Find Location (I had marked the start as a Navigation point) to regain the Great North Walk (in the wrong direction - d'oh!).

If I hadn't had the Forerunner, I suspect there might have been some SES search and rescue action when everyone got back to the car park and realised the super Sube was still there with no Vat.

Having finally regained the path I did successfully negotiate where the GNW diverts left, and Kev's bonus bin was a glorious sight. I did briefly consider getting in it, but settled for some ice under my hat.

I had one wrong turn left in me, though, and I managed a right turn down Alston Drive (what the hell was that about!?!?) that cost me another kilometre and ten minutes. Suspect this was when Action was cruising around.

Having regained the route AGAIN, I caught sight of Gasher. He'd had a few cramps, and since I'd perked up at the sight of my beloved tarmac (it would appear I am indeed a road runner) I passed him to finish in around 4:26 and change.

I'm sure I'd have been under 4 hours if not for the getting lost business. Own fault for leaving the map at the start.

Given the big climb seemed to trigger the nonsense that went on, I suspect my cold knocked the edge off my endurance today, along with a fairly fatty meal last night, plus a lack of sleep. I'm fairly knocked around at the moment - had a few cramps this afternoon - although not particularly sore. I think I can rule myself out of the STaR tomorrow - a nice cruise around the Bay Run after a sleep-in looks far more civilised than smashing myself up again around Cherrybrook."

Great way to start the new year, even taking into account the mishaps. Yeah, I'd have probably ended up taking a nap in the afternoon if I had been out on the turps the night before, but there is a certain smug satisfaction in knowing it was because you'd been out bush-bashing in the morning.

...and one thing's for certain. I'd have never seen that castle or appreciated that little tid-bit of history if I hadn't gone for the run. That's pretty cool.

Sunday

I had vague aspirations of making the STaR, but one thing increased mileage has taught me is that sufficient sleep is critical to recovery. I didn't set the alarm, and eventually arose at around 8am. We did the usual stuff, breakfast, washing, shopping, etc...

I managed to drag myself down to the Bay Run a bit before 2pm for an out-&-back cruise of the CR 5k course in 45m45s. I lost interest after about the 8km mark (headwind didn't help) but ran it out anyway. Wasn't really keeping an eye on the watch, just trying to maintain comfortable pace and good form

Pleasing to get out - soreness wasn't too bad, but I suspect if I'd run somewhere hilly it might have been a bit different. I have a bad track record when it comes to running on weekend days like this - if I don't go out first thing I often don't end up getting out at all, and considering I could have pleaded "I'm sore!" I got out anyway.

...and so to the new year. Managed 2879km last year, with some remarkable highs and lows. 2005 proves to be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home