Saturday, January 29, 2005

A decent result, and suddenly things are looking okay again

Got up at 6 this morning to tend to my blisters - quick spray of blister treatment, some elastoplast and some medical tape over them. Still painful to walk on - hmmmm....

Got out for a little jog around the block at 6:30 to warm up, promote certain bodily functions and to check the feet out. It was very ordinary for the first couple of hundred metres (as it always is when I haven't run for a day) but after a couple of minutes the blood started to move through the muscles and we were good to.

Turned up at about 7:05 to the usual crowd. Sticky, dullish morning. I decided to head out with the 18 minute group (Boof, Springer, Sportsman and Coaster) in the hopes they'd drag me through.

We took off pretty quickly and I knew it was going to hurt - but then it's always going to for these shorter runs. I made a point of not looking at my watch all throughout the run, but looking back at the splits we got through the first two km in 6:59. I dropped off the group a bit from about the 2km mark, but was sort of in touch. Boof scarpered off pretty well from the start.

Faded a bit over the last two km for 2 3:44kms to bring it home in 18m22s. Didn't check the time until I managed to get some semblance of breath back at the finish, and it came as a pleasant surprise.

Blisters were okay at pace, but quite sore when jogging the 5km back to the start. I think they're improving. I deliberately left the orthotics out today (I don't think they like my Series VIII DS Trainers) and will take a break from them again tomorrow. Once the blisters are back under control I'll put them back in - they've actually acheived the main aim of stopping the pain in my right foot, so I must be tracking better.

Nice to get a good result. I was kind of in the dumps a bit until the Centennial Park runs mid-week. Having been ill, and struggling in the last SMC event, things were looking gloomy, but I'm feeling a bit better about my running now.

3 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

You have certainly rebounded after your recent bout of illness. If you manage to stay fit and healthy I am sure you will meet your goals at 6 Foot Track.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

good to hear it! hang in there!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger vat_man said...

Cheers, guys - and hello to Jeff. Nice to have international comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home