Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The last long Wednesday night (for a while)

Saw the Horned one this morning at some ridiculous hour (6am, I think) for some maintenance. I was well timed, with my mysterious spot on the bottom of my right leg appearing yesterday. After some prodding, we found a spot about 6cm up the leg, just to the right of the centre of the shin.

Why is it my various niggles seem to involve acupuncture in places where there's no flesh? Soles of feet, shins, hips etc...

As is often the case with Martin's remedies, I could feel the affected area free up during the day to the point that when I got out the door to run home at about 5:20pm, it was pretty good. He never ceases to amaze me. To be honest, the right leg was probably the best it's been in, well, months, if I'm honest. Just a couple of little grumbles when kerb hopping, that was about it.

So, out into the cool night. I ended up following the same Wednesday night route I did last week. It seemed a bit cooler than last Wednesday, suspect the humidity was down. Would love to give you a time, but I forgot my watch. I think I was about 1 hour 45 minutes spot on, less a couple of minutes stoppage time for lights and traffic. Felt I struggled a bit on the climb to Gordon and Lane Cove Road and was probably slower through to the turn south there. Seemed to come good on the descent down to De Burgh's Bridge over Lane Cove River (where it was freakin' cold!) and through to Quarry Road, before having a bit of a battle on the grass climb to Blaxland Road. Came home pretty strongly along Victoria Road, including one funny moment where I came across a large fellow probably of about my vintage who was doing up his shoes. He saw me coming as he finished and decided to run and try to keep with me, which he failed at after about 30 metres - I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd probably just gone through a 91 minute half marathon and still around 3km to go, feeling pretty good.

So, good note to finish these mid-week runs. Funny how the perspective changes - it's not a big deal to pound out a solid 24km midweek now.

Oh yeah - nomination for song of the year: Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars. It has nothing to do with chasing cars. I had a particular train of thought going that the song just plugged into. Eagle's right - I do wear my emotions on my sleeve, particularly when I run, and it can be a surprising source of strength. I kinda just lost myself there for a couple of minutes down Lane Cove Road and was flying - I was a bit surprised at the pace when I came out of the moment, but it felt pretty damned good.

1 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

I hear what you saw about the perspective on training.

A midweek run of 17-20km is nothing now and I miss it when I don't get it done.

That is sooo amazing to hear you do a 91min half as part of a longer run on a training day.....*sigh* I wish!

You are definitely well on your way to a great race at Gold Coast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home