Tuesday, June 13, 2006

12 laps of windsprints

Woke this morning with a curious pain where the right foot connects with the right leg (as opposed to my left leg, I guess), right on top. Feels like it might be toe flexors, although it's probably a bit high for that. Odd. It didn't come up yesterday after my run, maybe I slept with it at a weird angle. I'm seeing the Horned one tomorrow morning, and Easy Tiger on Thursday, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

So, it was with a little trepidation I got down to Kensington for tonight's session, 4.8km of windsprints. Tend to dread the session a bit, although thinking on it afterwards I don't know why, it's actually fairly short, and working strategies through the laps to round people up is good fun.

Felt a bit dead legged in the warm up, and the right leg gave me a bit of grief in run throughs. Got to the line, and SW said he wanted to see something a little different tonight, with a 100 metre float, and 300 metres of effort. I sometimes wonder why he bothers, most of the kids seem to treat it as a 12 lap race.

Had done some number crunching through the day, and just wanted the session done in under 17:30, so laps would have to be 87 to 88 seconds each. Figured the current strategy of using the first third of the session to get established, the middle third to consolidate to increase intensity, and then to smash it home in the last third would do fine.

And that's pretty well how it played out. Picked up one of the faster guys who's on the comeback about two laps in, and we worked together to catch one girl, and were working on another when he fell back. I was concerned he might have 'cooked' me but working hard a bit early, but I was able to maintain momentum after going through halfway in 8:40, to do the session in 17:14. SW maintains that the time for this session's a good pointer for a 5k road time, and since the last time I did the session I ran 17:27 and that's my road 5k PB, I'm hardly going to argue.

Foot wasn't a problem through the session proper. It's a bit tight now I'm sitting at the PC, but liveable. I'll probably wake up and there'll be no sign of it.

Got a bit of a shock this morning updating my Excel based race calendar to find that the marathon's less than 20 days away. Starting to get a little toey - as I mentioned at CR, there is a lot of time and effort invested in this event. It's a good, normal nervousness. I almost wish it was this Sunday - I'm actually keen to get up there and get the damn thing done.

2 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Don't we say "Patience my friend". Times are looking good for a real crack at that 2:48 at GCM.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger 26miles said...

you're nervous ! I'm nervous for you as well - not to put any pressure on you or anything....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home