Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I pictured the Apocalypse as more of a fiery thing

6.6.06, although I took much delight in dating a number of documents 6.6.6 at work today. With the adoption of the Gregorian calendar over a 130 or so year period from 1522 I don't think anyone quite knows what the date actually is, and we're measuring from the alleged birth date of a person that whilst probable he existed, the major religions can't agree as to his role. Plus it's based around the number of times our little rock revolves around our backwater little star.

Still, I was never one to let all that get in the way of a few cheap laughs.

Had a massage with Easy Tiger this morning, no major dramas, just a couple of niggles here and there that were dealt with. Illie remains, it would seem the psoas is underdeveloped on the right side so poor Illie is doing all of the work.

It seemed to rain all day today, even during the bit we saw sunshine play across Woolwich mid-afternoon. After that, it really closed in, and the end of the world did seem a potential outcome. It wasn't like we could see any of it from St Leonards.

SW had sent an e-mail out to all of his runners telling them that training would continue regardless of ongoing rain. Now is not the time to be shirking sessions anyway, so after getting a bit of a soaking getting to the car, I drove over to Kensington. Thank goodness for AWD - our old Vectra would have flashing its traction control light incessantly.

The ground was waterlogged, particularly on the eastern side where there was a lot of standing water. SW had taken the course well out towards the fence, rendering any times meaningless. We would simply complete the laps as normal, so the scheduled 2.4k, 1.6k, 1.6k became 6 laps, 4 laps and 4 laps, the focus instead being on effort.

After drenching my elderly 2100s, I decided to do the session in bare feet. Easy Tiger later told me he had a shoe lace come undone in the last rep, and he was very conscious of the wet ground trying to 'suck' the shoe off his foot.

My reps went 8:23, 6:11 and 6:02, so there was a good progression in pace, with the average lap dropping for each rep. I was pleased with my level of effort, pushing hard all the way through the last one. Surface was pretty difficult, with feet sinking into the surface in a few places. Character building, I guess. It rained gently through the whole session, finally succumbing to temptation and pouring with about 3/4 of a lap to go through the final rep.

We got through a saturated 'cool down' and called it a night.

Good one to remember come Gold Coast, if I'm doubting my commitment.

1 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger speedygeoff said...

So you are not a
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobe?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home