Saturday, June 17, 2006

Aths NSW Long Course XC - Nowra

Off to Nowra mid-morning to face the great cross country course at Willandra, just west of Nowra. Must admit I was really looking forward to this one, as was Elise, as it was a great day out last year, plus it was nice to get out of town on a cool but beautiful day. With work, running and study taking up a fair chunk of our time lately, it was good to spend a couple of uninterrupted hours in the car catching up.

Got down there a bit before the women's open event. Fellow Striders had already established base camp next to Randwick Botany (suspect it was the boys who'd gotten the bus down) so we deposited our stuff, and after some catching up and getting changed, we got out for a warm up whilst the women's race went on. We had some additional faces from the list Guz put together during the week, so in addition to myself, Fats, Guz, Roy Worlds, Craig D, Richard and Superflake, plus Blue Dog, Sportsman, Don Juan and Dennis, we also saw O Runner and Easy Tiger front up, which made making the teams up a bit easier. No Brightshoes, alas, who had copped the flu late in the week.

Mohammed, myself, Don Juan, Fats and Royworlds during the warm up
Photo courtesy of Ray and KIT

Got through the warm up and felt pretty decent, to be honest. Didn't have a spectacular target for today - I ran 48:22 after cooking myself a bit on the first lap last year, but recalling I ran 36:28 two weeks after that thought anything sub 48 would be a decent result. The course was in perfect condition - a touch softer than last year, meaning that there was still excellent grip, but some of the impact of the steep downhills was reduced.

We lined up just on 3pm, and the gun went. Pack gradually settled down, and I found myself sitting about 10 seconds down on a bit of a Strider pack of Craig D, Royworlds and Richard, with Easy Tiger probably another 60 to 80 metres up the road. I didn't push the first lap, preferring to just work comfortably. Through the first lap in around 15:27, comfortably sub 4 pace. Pushed a little bit to come up on Richard as the course made its way down to the creek and the river crossing, and eased up to Royworlds and Craig D up Heartbreak, working with Royworlds down the hill where he just eased back a bit after a bit of a chat (well, mostly me). Wondered if Easy Tiger was a chance, it was hard to pick the actual gap with the course pitching and rolling and only limited straight line views. Through the second lap in 31:20, a lap that I have just now worked out to be 15:53, which is curious as it felt faster than that.

Photo courtesy of Ray and KIT
Photo courtesy of Nowra Athletics Club

Got a little lonely through the first half of the last lap, but I got into a good little battle with a fellow from from Nowra. My right shoelace had also come undone, providing some entertaintment, but I'm a bit lucky with the fit of my spikes (which were a perfect shoes choice) in that they're such a good fit that it's not a bit deal if a lace does come undone - didn't cost me any time.

I finally managed to ease away from him on the last steep uphill, putting in an effort on the top third of the hill and the downhill to gap him. I thought I had the place secure until Royworlds flew past me on the uphill where the entrance to the carpark is, and I went with him for about 30 metres or so, but I was done - it was a well placed sprint. I had been trying to get a look as to where he was for much of the lap, but the course never seems to offer an opportunity to get a look behind you without it being obvious to the person following.

Though the gate for 47:10, a 15:50 final lap and a 1:12 improvement on the previous year. Think the place was 36th, right behind Easy Tiger and Royworlds. As it turned out, I was able to snag the sixth best Strider placing, and we were able to slot into second placed Open team to Randwick Botany, which was a great result, especially when combined with the win in the 45+ men's as well.

The team result was announced very quickly this year (a relief after last year, where we pretty well left in the dark), so it was nice to head out before five with the medal in hand. It was funny - I was fully loaded up with kit, heading back to the car, when the announcement came, so I was able to take my place with the team on the podium.

So, good result for me, good result for the team, and a great day. The club aspect's really enjoyable - it's good to cheer on other club members. For mine, it's been great to see Kit and Bernie G out there in the emerald and white, I think they've been really enjoying running for the club, and their enthusiasm, particularly Kit's, is infectious.

We had a really good drive home, Elise had a great day catching up with friends, and we rounded the evening off watching a Clint Eastwood western while eating fish and chips. Seemed a good way to round out the day.

5 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Another good run out there today.

Thanks to Elise for those brownies. A perfect late lunch.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Good run vat, that is a good improvement and another good sign that things are on track for GC.

Well done on the anchor role, things would have been grim if you had to use my result!

Some more bling for the pool room ;)

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations on the team medal mate. Much quicker than last year and like you said looking good for GCM. Hope SW was happy? From where I was in the field(slow) it was the Striders gravy train. Must have been 6 striders in about 10 finishing spots in the 20-30 mark. Great course though. Can't wait to run it when I am fit next year.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Sensational result Vat - well done on what sounds like a really tough course. What a beautiful day it was for a road trip - mine up north was equally enjoyable.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Bernie G said...

Thanks for you kind words, you are correct I am really enjoying my running. It was a great day, with so many great runs by the green and white.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home