Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A message to the Canberra Marathoners

Especially the first timers...

Been good to catch up on the various blogs to see how people are feeling. It's been good to see the number of people really getting 'itchy feet' during the taper - a sign of a good preparation.

About now the nerves are going to start kicking in. A couple of things to remember:
- the nerves are normal
- yes, it's going to hurt. It's a freaking marathon! You wouldn't have attempted it if it was easy!
- if you look into your heart and say "I did my training" you have nothing to fear. You just need to get out there and do it.
- the key night to get sleep is Friday night. You will be a basket case on Saturday night. Again, it's normal
- don't do anything stupid early. That stuff about the race starting at 20 miles (32km) is true. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go out looking for a great time, but it's that time to look inside and be honest with yourself.

Good luck - although it really doesn't come down to luck in running. I'd rate it as one of the least 'luck' influenced sports.

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

"Deep breaths Clairie...Vat says the nerves are all normal".

I think I will have to keep repeating that for the next few days.

Thanks for your kind words...and your honesty. It is the hard truth that someone told me recently that "this won't be easy, you will hurt, you will feel pain". I had been getting so much support for my run that I almost forgot this. I then remembered that this is why it is such an acheivement - to overcome the pain, the hurt and finish the race.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home