Sunday, November 13, 2005

NSW 3000 metre championships

Date: Sat, Nov 12 (8:10pm - later, actually)
Conditions: Mild with a bit of a breeze
Location: Athletics Centre, Homebush
Session: 3000 metres
Sleep: 9 hours, reasonably decent (although a touch alcohol fuelled, which I don't rate as good).
Feeling: Okay, although a touch troubled in the stomach during the day

Had a few drinks with work colleagues on Friday night which concluded with a few cocktails at Bungalow 8 - I was in bed by 11, but probably had two more than I should. So, Saturday saw me a bit scratchy throughout the day, although by the time I started a warm-up jog I was pretty well fine.

Couple of things to note for next week - leave a bit earlier, and remember my numbers. I just scraped into the entries, which ended up being well over 80, with the field split into three races. I also owe Superflake $5 - there's an additional charge if you forget your numbers (I'd whinge, but it is a Stupidity Tax, and I'm generally in favour of those). They were running half an hour late as it was, and we were the last race (specifically the 'fat, old and slow' race).

Got through a bit of a warm up and bumped into Lefty and Luke Skyrunner. Cruised around and came back, and it was only then we realised just how late they were running. Took the opportunity to chat to Action and a few others - amazing how many people I know at these events now.

Had another cruise around, did some stretches and strides, and we were right to go. Mohammed was in the same field, along with Gary from SMC. Mohammed and I engaged in some 'bluff talk', but I had a feeling I might be battling the way he'd been rolling along in training. As mentioned, 10:30 would have been a nice number, and was about where I think I am at the moment. I deliberately ran without a watch, preferring to go on feel. I had a rough idea on splits, figuring around 1:20-1:25 a lap or so.

Gun went, and it was on. Any thoughts of splits went out the window as I just endeavoured to get through the opening 200 metres without hitting anyone. The field had been split in half, with my lot on the outside. I have no idea of splits, caught a couple of numbers being yelled out which suggested I was on target for around 10:30. Mohammed and Gary were having a good battle about 20-30 metres up the road, and I worked on holding on.

The track was nice to run on, somewhat akin to running on a fairly short pile carpet, much better than ES Marks. I wasn't conscious of running on the track during the race, focussed instead on keeping as far to the left as I could, and on the runner in front.

Felt like I was starting to battle when I went past the finish line with four laps to go. Just thought to myself I needed to just hang on. Then, with at about 80 metres from the finish line of the following lap, the sprinklers went off! Actually, it was a nice mental diversion. I saw I was drawing closer to Mohammed and Gary. Then, with two to go, they just took off (or I died, but I managed to pick up a guy between us, so I suspect they kicked). Ran it out for 10:31.76.

Had a bit of a cool down with Mohammed.

Must say, it was good fun, I'm really looking forward to the relays next week.

Oh yeah, popped down to Running Science on Saturday afternoon and bought some spikes - specificall some Nike Rival D Plus - basically the ones with the most support I could find. Felt pretty good on, like slippers. Might try them out tomorrow, I have some sprints after a 45 minute run. Pretty cheap too.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger Jen said...

You must have been in the wrong race Vat because you are neither fat, old or slow' ;-)

Thank you for your comment in the CC Half thread - I really appreciate it.

J.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Clairie said...

Well Done on the 3Km race Vat. Excellent result to be so close to your expected time without use of a watch or anything.
Shows that you are good at pacing.

Don't you just hate it when everyone around you has a little kick at the end except for you???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home