Saturday, November 05, 2005

Striders 10k - Lane Cove

Date: Sat, Nov 5 (7:00am)
Conditions: Warm and humid with drizzle
Location: Lane Cove National Park
Session: 10k race.
Sleep: 6 hours good quality.
Feeling: A little residual soreness, but okay.

Warm, sticky and drizzly morning at Lane Cove. Got through a 10-15 min warm up with Spud, would have been nice to be a little longer.

Had been predicting 38-39 minutes for the 10k, and genuinely had no idea what to expect. I deliberately ran without a watch, deciding to just go on feel. Headed out sensibly, caught Mohammed at Scribblys after watching John Dawlings just cruise past. Kept a watching brief on silver fox out of Scribblys but couldn't make an impression on the gap he'd put into me, and was aware of Blue Dog hanging around as well.

Thought I was solid to Lane Cove Road, and had a reasonable run down from there until Porters Bridge where a lot of the sting seemed to go out of the legs. Had a couple go past me, and was just in the process of winding it up a bit when Mohammed and Blue Dog arrived. We had a pretty solid three way duel over the last two km, with Blue Dog seemingly dry-retching over the last 1.5. I was certainly trying to push on a bit, and Mohammed came through with me. Finished just behind Highway Man, with Mohammed and Blue Dog behind.

I think the time was around 38:40 - would have been nice to be a bit lower, but there didn't feel to be a lot of top end this morning, and I imagine a run up a solid hill in 100% humidity doesn't constitute ideal conditions to be coming back from a respiratory infection.

Oh well, solid hitout, and probably exactly what I needed at this point. Just got to get a solid 12 weeks training in and we'll be scaling new heights...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home