Thursday, July 07, 2005

Tempo Thursday

Well, I guess that's what you'd call it. Session called for 4k, a 6 minute jog recovery, then another 'eyes hanging out' 3k. Had a few things to do this evening after getting home, and tend to be a bit wound up after these evening speed sessions, hence the late update.

Got down there a little earlier than usual, after a dream run on public transport. Got through a 5.04km warm up in 25:31, and felt pretty flat, efforts from the last couple of days catching up no doubt. Got through some fairly unenthusiastic run throughs, and we were set to go. Target pace for the initial 4k was 10k pace (which is suddenly 3:39! Ay caramba!). Lap splits were (from memory:
3:40
3:45
3:43
3:37

That took a bit of recovery, and I only got about 4m30s of jogging to recover for the 3km all out. That didn't go quite as well - can't remember the splits, but mananged 11:12 for the distance, really didn't have a lot left, although I managed to get through what I thought was a decent last lap.

Still, to do the pace on soft, damp, fairly uneven grass is good. I have a feeling I crossed a bit of a mental barrier about pain in that last 4k on Saturday - I am starting to not fear pushing well into physical discomfort from speed. I think I have got it through my thick skull that the pain from running past your aerobic ability, the shortness of breath that makes you want to lie down and die at the end of a race or interval session, will pass and isn't actually going to kill me, and I'm becoming less afraid of pushing to that barrier.

Here's hoping that will actually help me run faster...

Jogged out a gentle 3.1km in 15:17 and got acquainted with some more members of the squad, including CR Serge and his very fast father. Gradually easing into the social side of the squad - contrary to popular belief, I am actually quite shy and awkward around new people. It's only when I get to know you that the true me comes out....(cue ominous music).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home