Thursday, May 12, 2005

Interval Pace - Arse About

Up at some ungodly hour this morning (well, 5:15am) to do 2 x 2km @ 10k pace (say 7:40), 1 x 2km @ 5k pace (say 7:20) and 1 x 1km @ 5k pace (say 3:40). Got through the warm-up whilst still half asleep but felt okay at the end (4.4km in 21:56), did some stretches and promptly forgot to do my strides. Oops.

Anyway, put away a half decent first rep and things went backwards from there:

1st 2km - 7:36. Very quick opening lap and was just slightly throttling back to ensure I didn't something stupid
2nd 2km - 7:42. Again, quick through the opening lap, and then fell asleep during laps three and four. Put in a hard last lap to get within 2 seconds of target, and it was apparent I was starting to struggle.
3rd 2km - 7:53. A horrible, formless thrashfest. Ugly to run, and most likely ugly to watch. Awful.
Last 1km - 3:45. Again, a horrible formless thrashfest, but managed to at least get within sight of target pace.

Finished off with a 4.3k cool down in 22:40.

Disappointing, but still a good improvement on last week where 7:50 was a huge struggle. I couldn't hold on to the form changes from Tuesday for more than a couple of laps, so I guess I need to develop the strength in the hips to hold that form - which I guess is the point of these sessions.

I also guess I suck at running on a grass track.

2 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gee, but you're hard on yourself, Vat-man! Within sight of target pace is most definitely not a negative thing & ugly to watch?....Never!

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thrashfest !!! I love it.
Done a few of them in my time !
Keep up the good work - grass training will make you stronger.
Cheers, 26.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home