Monday, April 25, 2005

Brisbane's Lest We Forget 8k, and a jog back to St Lucia




From Coolrunning:

On arrival at Southbank I turned on the Garmin to the message of 'battery low'. Hopefully I left it on after my run on Saturday, otherwise it's back to GME Electrophone...

With respect to the track, I'd read the map and had a good idea of the layout, and then at the start Steve promptly announced a course change, and rattled off a series of street names and landmarks that to me were pretty well meaningless.

Course was certainly varied, with a right turn over Victoria Bridge, a right turn down to the riverside walk way on the CBD of the river (with a tricky little chicane) and then a decent climb up to the Botanic Gardens for what I think was a kind of figure 8, then over the Goodwill Bridg, a left turn around a marina with a docked naval vessel, and then back west along the south bank of the river and back to the finishing area. It pitched and rolled, with a lot of direction changes, making it a bit difficult to get into a rhythm.

I was hoping for something a bit closer to 31 minutes, but to be under 4 min/km pace two weeks from Canberra over an unknown, technical course is pleasing, and a sign that speed is gradually seeping back - quads are still unhappy at attempts to maintain speed when going up hills, but have certainly improved.

Enjoyed a pleasant cruise home at around 4:50 pace back to St Lucia for a pleasant 40 minute recovery, although I was pleased to get off my feet - DS Trainers and predominantly concrete and paved surfaces aren't fantastic for your feet!

It should also be noted I behaved myself at the wedding, restricting myself to two light beers, a glass of wine and a glass of champagne. I did have a fair bit to eat though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home