Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Beginning of a brave new world

A critical day in my running career today, for two reasons.

Firstly, I visited a dietician in Lane Cove, a Michael Tesoriero, and had a run through my diet. Basically, I don't eat enough carbs, and I tend to eat too big portions of protein/fat to make up for it. As a result, blood sugar is low in the mornings (hence I find it hard to get up) and the late afternoons (don't want to train in the afternoon), and I crave fatty foods (Shakespeare's Pies and chocolate!) to make up for it. So, add in carbs, cut down portions. Got my little plan set up, and I'm good to go. Very much a case of modifying the existing structure, rather than wholesale changes.

Secondly, I got my first training plan from Sean Williams, for May. The speed sessions, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, look tough, as I guess they need to be, with lots of pace rehearsals (2ks at 10 and 5k pace, that sort of thing), with the speed increasing as the session draws to a close. He also tends to look for time running, and also 4-5k warm ups and cool downs, so it'll be some early starts! Still, hopefully it will be easier to get up. Haven't gone through the plan in great detail, but mileage doesn't look too bad - until you factor in warm ups and cool downs! Oh well, good to have a plan. That kicks off on May 1.

I'm also not to do much in the way of upper body weight work - just 30 to 40 push-ups. Instead, the focus will move to core strength, abs, lower back, as well as leg work outs. I've had to get hold of a book on medicine ball exercises, so I'll put together a little program around that as well.

3 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting reading, Vat, from the dietician.
The new program should get you going again; anything new perks me up!
I have an excellent book "Stronger Abs & Back" by Dean & Greg Brittenham; full of exercises & training programs (med. ball incl.); if you don't have it, it could be a good one for you to get hold of.

Hope all works out well for you & the old enthusiasm returns quickly.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger tim said...

strange I wrote about carbs this morning. I am keeping an eye on how you are going for some free advice.

It is nice to have a plan.


tim

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting what your dietician said. I went to a nutritionist and she said i had the opposite problem. Now all i eat are damned beans.

Good luck with it! I look forwrad to seeing what happens with your training.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home