Sunday, January 30, 2005

Shift in priorities

Oh yeah, something I'd spoken to people about, but not put up here...

I've had a bit of a rethink of my priorities over the next four months. More specifically, I realised that Gold Coast would have been my third marathon (including Six Foot) in a touch over 16 weeks, and remembering how well it panned out when I did three in 10 months, I thought it might be more prudent to change goals for the second half of the year rather than stuff myself properly for the second half of the year. More specifically, I want to nail City 2 Surf this year, and I don't think I can do it off the back of what I'd proposed doing.

So, no Gold Coast for 2005. I'll do Canberra, for a few reasons (great event that I'd like to support, social gathering, Strider Super Series points, etc), but after that, I'll be hunting 10k speed. I want that preferred start at City 2 Surf in August, and then I'm going after that damned Gold Coast marathon in 2006. I want a sub 2:50 at least there - actually, what I really want is a sub 4 min/k pace (thanks, Springer) marathon, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

That involves breaking 36 minutes for 10km, and finding a bit over a minute over 5km, and losing at least 6 kg, if not more. I'll be looking for coaching post-Canberra.

Can't wait.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Eagle said...

Read with interest your change of plans and I hope all goes well with them. I agree that a marathon at sub 4 minute k pace is a great goal and with some smart training for someone like you should be able to be achieved.

I notice you sent me a note about temp work. As it is the end of the month I am just assessing what running goals I set at the start of the month and the changes if any to my training schedule for Feb thatI will need to make. In regard to your request I will get back to you in a day or so. If I recall 6FT is about 6 weeks away.
Ray

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Superflake said...

Good luck with your change of goals Vat.
Hope they go well for you.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Will miss you at the GC, but look forward to meeting up again in Canberra. LL

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that 'preferred' start is coming your way. All the best with the new direction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home