Thursday, May 24, 2007

35 minutes in a tube, and waiting....waiting

Didn't realise how long it was since I'd updated.

Decided to bite the bullet a month or so ago and go and see Dr John Rooney, an orthopaedic surgeon over at St Vincents Private. After some prodding and manipulation of the area, a labral tear seems to be the diagnosis. That, or wear of the joint, which would not be cool. At all.

I used Dr Tom Cross of the Sydney Sports Medicine Centre at Crows Nest/North Sydney as a second opinon, and he thought much the same thing.

Both felt the osteitis pubis had moderated considerably.

A labral tear would actually be a decent result, as it's just a hip arthroscopy, and a six to eight week recovery before I'm back on the road. Then, another six months to get the weight I've put on back off!

Both recommended an MRI, which I had at the Mater on Tuesday night (they bulkbill, so I had to wait a while for an appointment) - basically 35 minutes in a tube surrounding by banging and electrical noises. As always, I dozed off - awoke about 2 minutes before the end, not realising I'd been asleep, thinking I still had ages to go, and my right hip was killing me. It was a huge relief to feel the sled I was lying on lift up and slide out of the machine.

Had a bit of a squiz at the scan with the operator - nothing immediately apparent in the joint, but the osteitis pubis appears to still have some presence.

I get the results on Friday, so will report back then. Or next month. It's all good.

In the meantime, I've been amusing myself with a new digital camera. You can see race galleries for April's NSW State 10k Novice, and last Sunday's SMH Half Marathon here:
- http://picasaweb.google.com/craig.d.brown/28407StateNovice
- http://picasaweb.google.com/craig.d.brown/SMHHalf07

Oh yeah, and a shout out to Unc - sorry to hear about your foot, mate.

1 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Hope the MRI comes out positive Vat so you can get the surgery done and get the injury over and done with. It's been too long!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home