Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Still fighting, a timely reality check and a new toy

Woke up pretty scratchy this morning, with sinus pressure. Looks like I've got another dose of the anti-bodies acting up. Bit headachey, but nothing serious, threatened briefly to present in the throat but that has receded. I suspect it's just a reaction rather than an actual bug, so am not overly concerned just at the moment, but have upped the vitamins and echinacea/zinc just in case.

During the day I popped an e-mail to SW seeking advice on a race plan . He came back with a surprisingly conservative response and suggestion, which caused an initial frown. A couple of minutes later the rational side of the brain kicked in and I did some sums, realised he was most likely right, and that I needed to think about the whole reason I'm running on Sunday - to run under 4 minute per km pace. So I redid some sums, had a bit of a think, and had a bit of a better idea of where I should be when.

EliseS was home for a little while during the afternoon and just happened to be there when my new toy arrived. Yes, I weakened last week and bought a Garmin 205. I have named him Gaf (Garmin Forerunner), after Edward James Olmos' character in Blade Runner, in a neat coincidence of haphazard acronyms and science fiction. EliseS was kind enough to put him on the charger so he could get three hours of USB power before I got out for my easy run.

Not my Gaf

So, after setting him and letting him get a fix, I got out at about 6:30 for my usual pounding around Bedlam Bay Oval. Felt fine - breathing is not restricted at all - and cruised around very comfortably for 6.22km (6.18km in Sport Tracks) in 30:04 (including 2 seconds standing there when I forgot which button reset the run) for 4:51 pace.

Now, if you want to see the difference in the plotting quality of the 205 versus the 301, have a look at this. 205 on the left, 301 on the right.


I'll now quote numbers directly from Gaf - the plot quality is pretty impressive.

So, just got to get on top of this sinus thing AGAIN, but otherwise, all is fine. Seeing the Horned one tomorrow morning for a final bit of work and a gentle 4 x 400 in the evening and we're nearly there.

7 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Now you've done the maths and got the toy you'll be right. All the best for Sunday and may it pan out just as you desire. Look forwqard to hearing about it.

TA

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Looks like the 301 was after a big night last year. The toy is impressive if it can track that well. Hope you kick that bug real quick. I thought you were aiming for the 4min ks?

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger vat_man said...

I am, 'flake - just all got a bit excited there with some good results.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Spud said...

Pretty much sums up the difference between the x01 and the x05 right there.
hey best of luck at the weekend Craig, hope you have the run your training and commitment deserves.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger 26miles said...

Good luck mate on Sunday - not that you'll need it. Great preparation should see a terrific result.
That's much better tracking with the x05 - think I'll get myself a new toy as well.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Good idea to stick with the original goal and plan accordingly. You have been extremely focussed with the preparation, don't jeapordise that by stretching yourself just a bit too far.

Much better if you have heaps left in the tank towards the end to bring it home hard and also helps in setting your next goal!

Run well, I am really looking forward to hearing of your success sometime Sunday afternoon.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Eagle said...

Run to the plan and conservately and you will breeze in your big goal. Run how you feel atthe start and I suspect the wheels will fall off just as you should be hitting the gas and getting a response. Craig be smart and you will be happy after the run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home