Saturday, June 24, 2006

East Met - Mutch Park 6k

Out to the eastern suburbs on a fine Sydney Saturday afternoon for my final race before the GCM next week.

This is a tough little course held in the park next to Bonnie Doon Golf Club in Eastgardens. The course starts on the side of a hill near the carpark, turns immediately left through 180 degrees before a long drag up a hill that includes a 90 degree turn, then plunge back down to below the start level through soft ground and work your way through a twisty, well treed section before coming back through the middle of the park, another tight section and a short, nasty little climb before a short, sharp downhill to the start/finish line for 2km. Today was 6km, so three laps.

My time from July last year was 22:39, post CR drinks (and not Mexican as I reported this afternoon) and slightly worse for wear. My only target was to go under 22, and keep it reasonably even. Had a chat to James Hurley before the event, and we formulated a plan to run together, at least early on. Caught with Mister G, who made an appearance. Felt pretty decent - had been a little 'coldy' on arising, but a couple of cups of coffee and I was fine.

Reasonable sized field lined up, and we were away. The field gradually worked itself out, with James and I slotting about 20-30 metres behind Mikey and Jen. I was keeping an eye on those two, as I train with Mikey and Jen was the lead female that I recognised from a few of the ANSW events.

Got through the first lap at 7:10 and did wonder if we might have gone out a little hard. Hurley fell off early on up the hill, and I figured I should work to get the two in front if I was going to push for a time. I got on to them coming back out of the twisty section at the back of the tennis courts, and Mikey dropped off. Got through the second lap in 7:14 for 14:24.

Started to push Jen a little bit. She worked hard on the hill, but I just managed to ease past her right at the top as it started to level out, and pushed really hard on the steep downhill that followed. I could hear her breathing behind me, so there was no opportunity to ease up and fully recover from the climb - it just a case of suck it up and keep pushing. I got a quick opportunity to see where she was at one very tight behind, and it was no more than 6 metres.

This continued through the lap - I could still hear her breathing, and I didn't to ruin my focus or give her a sign that I was battling by looking around. We got to the final climb, and I figured that if it was me chasing, I'd put in a last gasp effort up the hill, so why not trump that by doing it myself. Lungs were screaming at the top of the hill - I could no longer hear the breathing, but belted it home to finish in 21:32, a 7:08 final lap and 7th place outright. Found 1:07 on last year. Illie and psoas were fine, perhaps a little tight in the cool down.

Very pleased with the run, especially digging so deep on the last half of the third lap to hold my place. SW was very pleased with the run, and immediately told me I was to do a very easy hour tomorrow morning with him at the back of the pack so he could keep an eye on me and ensure I didn't do anything silly.

So, an excellent sharpener, and it's all systems go. Massage Tuesday, visit to the Horned one on Thursday, some gentle speed sessions and lots of 30 minute jogs on grass, and we're there.

2 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Great result Vat. See you next weekend

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

Shit Vat!!! You are on fire. Great confidence booster and certainly puts you up there to do what you want at Gold Coast.

Remember me when you are off with the elites and breaking world records won't you :)

Can't wait to have a beer with you AFTER Gold Coast. I think it will be one well deserved drink.

Until then, take care and as per SW advice - don't do anything silly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home