Sunday, May 21, 2006

Race Day

Not a huge fan of posting right before heading off to a race, but I was up pretty damn early and thought it might be a good insight.

Got most of my stuff organised last night:
- clothes in the second bedroom room so I can dress without turning the light on in the bedroom. Check.
- wallet, keys, racechip on dining room table so I don't forget them. Check.
- race number pinned on singlet. Check.
- faithful Casio digital watch, since Garmin 301 is useless around town. Uh, no, but a quick search this morning has located the little fella. My old surf watch.

I was up at four. Stomach was quite sore for some reason - has settled after a strong cup of coffee and two pieces of toast with honey. Had the first of what will doubtless be several trips to the can. Cats campaigning to be fed, but it's far too early, they'll get theirs as I leave.

Feeling pretty toey. A PB's pretty much in the bag (as much as it can be in this game, I guess), but I still harbour ambitions of a sub 80. The '19:20' through 5k plan was formulated specifically to be solid through 5 while still leaving me enough room to try it if I'm feeling strong enough. I think it's just beyond me, but I'm due a breakthrough run - it was my real 'return with a vengeance' event last year. To rank potential outcomes:
- sub 83. Good, honest result, in line with expectations.
- sub 82. Very pleased, would be a strong result.
- sub 81. Would be rapt, as a sub 2:50 marathon on the flat at Gold Coast is in play.
- sub 80. Over the moon.

Okay, one more trip to the can, feed the beasties, and it's off to find somewhere to put the bus, since I'll be at the pub, but not drinking...

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Same with me up at 4am. I hate the smell of those port a loos. Blah!

I guess "Over the Moon" will be the race blog title.

Very happy for you mate after all your health troubles since August.

A big Yeehah! 4min PB.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Katie said...

hey whats it like up there over the moon and out of the glaxy??? Congrats what a great run! A pleasure to cheer you home :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home