Monday, August 08, 2005

Night sweats, and a visit to the doctor

Another tough night of little sleep, with the bonus of early morning night sweats. Man, how much do they suck? That pretty well ruined my sleep-in.

In a particularly spectacular morning haze, I managed to contact the office to call in sick and organise some spreadsheets to be e-mailed to me, plus organise a medical appointment for late in the afternoon. I'm still powered by Nurofen Liquid Capsules and Duro-Tuss, and my new chemical friends took a little while to kick in this morning. I felt cold all morning, periodically emerging from the backdoor to absorb some sun before scuttling back to the study again. As the day wore on, I started to feel half human, although balance on suddenly arising is still a little suspect. Still no appetite - actually, just on that, you know what pisses me off most about being crook like this? Not the lack of appetite, but the changed perception of taste - I normally love turkish bread with a bit of ham and salad, but I can't stomach the way I taste turkish at the moment. It's very upsetting.

Actually walked the couple of hundred metres to the local clinic, where I was told "don't train" (duh). I normally just go to this place for medical certificates if I'm forced to take a Monday or Friday off (personal thing), and it's also physically the closest clinic to home AND it bulk bills. I actually have a half decent rapport with the doctor there, surprising since I'm there maybe once or twice a year, but then again, maybe not, as I'm about half the age of all the other patients I've seen there, and probably about the only one that exercises. We had a comical conversation last year when I dropped in with a bug where he commented that my heart rate didn't seem elevated, rather it was steady and strong. I asked him what it was.
"Around 68"
"Mmm...it's usually in the mid to low 40s"
"Ah. Run, do we?"

Anyway, got the same antibiotics as last time, doc thinks I should be right on top of it in 48 hours provided I take the full course of antibiotics (AND I got this lecture again at home - jeez, you end up missing the last three tablets, cop a relapse, and it's "I told you so" Central!) and take it easy. He also suggested taking tomorrow off work might be smart, a suggestion I had no trouble following.

Truth is, tonight's the best I've felt since Friday - I don't have that 'creeping ice' feeling I've been getting in the evenings, which is a nice change. Still quite 'heady', with coughing and sneezing, but I seem to have been successful in keeping it out of my lungs. Possible schedule at this point is return to work Wednesday, possible light jog Thursday evening at the earliest.

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's better news, Vat! But ...don't forget to take the full course of antibiotics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home