Monday, May 22, 2006

It was a dark and stormy night...

Elected to sleep in rather than get up and do strength. I had intentions of doing strength tonight, but eh, Tuesday and Thursday is good.

Sunday afternoon was interesting. We went out and did some shopping, and the legs got sorer and sorer, with Illie particularly vocal, to the point that I ducked down to Ryde pool at about 4pm and did some swimming, water running and floating to see if that would help. Which it did, a little, but even so it was a fairly uncomfortable night.

On getting up, found the legs were fine. Bizarre.

Anyway, down to Bedlam Bay Oval a bit after 6pm for 35 (not 30, not 45) minutes of iPod driven circle work. From about the 10 minute mark onwards, the flashes of lightning over the lower North Shore drew closer, which made me a little apprehensive. I don't do lightning. When I was in my late teens I was standing about 30 metres from a tree that got hit and have had a 'thing' about it ever since.

Problem is, increasing your pace does not help a time based session go more quickly. Plus, it was supposed to be a recovery session. So, plodding around, keeping an eye to the north east, I ran the clock down. Legs were a little weary, but otherwise fine.

Thanks for the positive comments. It was certainly a relief to deliver on what has been a pretty consistent training effort for some time.

My pick of the runs from Sunday that I saw included Royworlds' relentless effort, Uncle Dave coming up with what might be a PB despite a week and a half off, Tux's strong last 5km, Action underlining his return to form after what has seemed an eternity after Trailwalker last year, and The Mad Guz's well deserved podium finish. Unheralded Sydney club runner my backside.

Vision of the morning, though, was Luckylegs' determination approaching Napoleon Street the final time. I was doing a cool down with 26 miles, and we both waved and cheered, to no response. LL looked totally focussed. We both commented that you've got to respect that level of concentration, and moved on. A 4 minute PB for her seemed just reward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home