Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Back in the harness - and some ramblings...

Deliberately rested Monday (and had to catch the bus due to an early morning appointment in North Sydney), and missed Tuesday due to a couple of factors, specifically I couldn't get out of bed so missed my early session, took running kit to work to do a treadmill based speed session at lunch time, and then got called into an unexpected all day meeting at 8:30am which ruined any plans I had.

Oh well - probably not a bad thing, I guess...

Anyway, got up this morning and got out the door just after 6am. Managed 15.55km in 1h15m43s, running from home along Victoria Road to the city, through town, over the Harbour Bridge and up the Pacific Highway to work at St Leonards. Felt pretty good through the run once I'd warmed up, although probably still feeling it a bit on the uphills.

Certainly felt better for the break. Thinking on it, I'm actually pretty happy with the recovery so far, certainly feeling better than I have after any of the three marathons I've done, although obviously the intensity wasn't there. I think the ramp up in mileage in late September/early October probably helped, bringing some strength and endurance.

I'm certainly glad to be finding this things out in November rather than in January or February, which was pretty well the point when I put this plan together. I feel I'm building a considerable advantage over other first time Six Foot Track runners, having seen the course (and been over the big climbs twice) and knowing what to expect. Helps running with Spud and Mister G, too - there's a fair bit of experience there.

2 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

Keep up the efforts Vat-Man. Sounds like you are on schedule for a great 6-foot induction. Do you have any specific time goal for it? And yes...rest is always good.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger vat_man said...

Good question, claire, and thanks for commenting. I managed to sneak under 3 hours at the Canberra Marathon in March this year,, and despite a bit of a slump through the middle of the year (culminating in a bit of a disaster at the Gold Coast Marathon), I've come back pretty well now and I would like to think I'd probably be in faster shape at the moment. A sub 3 hour marathon suggests I should be comfortably sub 5 hours, and realistically 4:30 is probably a good target. Something I'll probably ponder on closer to the date.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home