Saturday, October 16, 2004

Saturday struggles and thoughts on the rest day

After Friday's rest day, I got up with my partner and went down to the Bay Run to work through a 10k session, generally easy but with a few quicker km thrown in to get a feel for pace for Sunday's internal half.

The moment I started I felt stiff and quite sore - almost like shin splints. I have found the Bay Run a place that I battle with lower leg pain before, so it's nothing new, but I really did feel very ordinary in the legs. I ground out a couple of k, forced through one km at 4:00 pace, got to the 4k turnaround point on the CR 5k course, battled back, did a lap of Timbrell Park at about 4:05 pace, and wobbled back to the Drummoyne Rowing Club. Saw Action along the way, and bumped into Black Wiggle. We stopped and had a chat for a couple of minutes (he's moving into track mode for the summer season), and oddly enough I felt better on resumption. Managed 9.5k in about 43:22.

After this morning's efforts, and discussions with Mister G on the topic of rest days, I wondering if perhaps I might be better putting in a token 5km on a Friday morning. There might be a build up of junk in the muscles after my work mid-week, and perhaps a little recovery jog might help to better flush that out.

Might try it next week and report back on results.

On the plus side, the bad run's out of the system before tomorrow...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home