Sunday, October 10, 2004

Sunday STaR - Mosman Reversed

...and so the other long run of the week, the Sunday Strider STaR. This week, Mosman Reversed.

We started at 6:10 from the rotunda at Balmoral Beach, worked our way north to The Spit and over the bridge, a little loop through Clontarf and back over the bridge again to head south via Beauty Point, along Quakers Hat Bay through the western edge of Mosman, into North Cremorne and on to Cammeray, through the golf course and over the Warringah Freeway in St Leonards Park.

We then crossed back over the expressway into Neutral Bay and headed over to Kurrura Rd, working our way through Shell Cove, following the track through Cremorne Reserve to Robertsons Point, north back up Mosman Bay, over to Sirius Cove Reserve where we picked up the path that runs past Taronga Zoo on to Bradleys Head.

Heading north, we worked our way through Clifton Gardens, Georges Heights before picking up the south end of Balmoral Beach for a good strong finish.

I think we cut out a little section near Georges Head - the path was undergoing a fair degree of construction through here. The Garmin indicated 28.6km (the guide lists the run at 31km) but with the numerous twists and turns of the run the GPS was gently easing behind the guide all the way, and was 2.5km behind at the time of the detour. I'll book it as 31km, at just over 2 hours 30.

I started to wilt through the last 10km (Tuesday catching up methinks) and the calves were feeling it. I've now cut up my left heel as well as my right - oh well, nothing more tape can't deal with! We had a strong little quartet at the finish, with Sue, David G and new Strider David (who ran in a Strider emerald polo and Dunlop KT26s no less - he ran 3h22m at the Sydney Marathon and looked very strong today) seeing the 6:10 all the way through.

The week ended up a little short of what I was hoping for. I had scheduled in 111km, ended up managing 96, my biggest week ever, and on the back of a 93km. An excellent start to October, and other than my feet (which I can manage) no real injuries. I should start to results start to come through in the November Lane Cove 10k and the SMC half marathon later that month.

This week will be a bit easier, although there'll be two speed sessions at North Chatswood - a 15 minute session of 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, and the Thursday 8 x 400 session accompanied by Mister G. Key, though, is the final Strider Super Series event on Sunday - the Internal Half Marathon.

A couple of things on the STaRs:
- I was really looking forward to it this week. They're a brilliant way to do your long runs - good company, bit of a feed at the end, and I've absolutely no doubt I push much harder when running these than I would when doing long runs by myself.
- they're a brilliant way to see Sydney up close. We moved up in Easter '98, and I can't say I'm overly familiar with Sydney. These runs provide an excellent way to have a look at particular suburbs and neighbourhoods.
- a tip for map reading. If it appears there's a choice between a relatively gentle route, or some steep hill or stairs. it's usually the hill or the stairs.

Had a little nap this afternoon and will kick off the week with a gentle 5-10km tomorrow morning, depending on what time I get up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home