Saturday, April 29, 2006

Batlling at Scarborough Park

Ended up missing out on my easy half hour on Friday. We had a fair well at work late in the afternoon, and the small piece of cake I had wasn't sitting well.

Saturday - pretty quiet day before heading over to Scarborough Park for the novice 10k. Good turn out of Striders for the event.

The course was two 3k loops, and then 2 2k loops (basically the 3k loop with the first k out of it). I felt okay through the warm up, just not particularly motivated. Gun went off, and I deliberately took the first couple of km easy. I felt a little tight in the chest, though, as if my heart rate seemed elevated. I was close to Don Juan, sitting about 10 seconds or so adrift of Mohammed, about where I wanted to be. Don Juan pushed up at about 4km or so, and I just wasn't able to go with him. As mentioned, the heart rate felt elevated, and I felt particularly ordinary over the last half of the race. Ended up getting home in around 39:31 for 56th place.

Feel a bit down about the result. There was definitely a physical issue there - either the Coke Zero I had with lunch really affected the heart rate, or I've got some bug in the system. I've been sleeping okay, that's usually the first thing that's disrupted. Odd.

Tried out the Brooks T4 and they were fine. Felt pretty good, actually.

3 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Your early pace was pretty good, and I had plenty of time to look at it. I'm sure you'll come good soon.

Mohammed was hard to catch. I had one of those good days in the office.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Superflake said...

Just an off day mate, I'm sure the good training is going to come off soon.A bit hard to see Mohammad now he runs in RBH disguise gear.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Vat, you just had an off day. Maybe, you just get a bit too tense when heading into these races. Might be a good idea to look into relaxation techniques or yoga.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home