Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pretty much recovered

I had vague aspirations of a short spin session on the indoor trainer on Monday as some sort of recovery, but was pretty much exhausted during the day, to the extent that I was using the drives between jobs to snatch little 10 minute naps. Fortunately I wasn't driving. So I opted for a 45 minute nap instead. Slept like the dead Monday night.

Which reminds me of an old joke - I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers. Badoom tish.

I digress.

I was pretty stiff in the legs during Monday, but had no soreness, and my feet, which were a bit blistered up on Sunday afternoon, actually came up pretty well and indeed today didn't really need the tape I put on them.

Felt pretty good today. Work involved a pretty big job plodding around a muddy construction site (kudos to the inventor of gumboots) but wasn't too strenuous. Felt pretty good on returning home and decided to bolt on the ol' Brooks Infinitis (in case anyone is wondering what road shoes I'm using at the moment) and do the "run for an hour but actually it's out for half an hour and see if I can negative split it home and usually I do so it isn't really" thing.

My usual route out from home to the Centenary Bike path is straight out the door and into an immediate 300 metre drag up a fairly steep climb (probably explains the negative split home). Felt pretty good on the climb and pushed reasonably hard to cover a bit over 6.4k in the first 30 minutes, turning around just after Counihan Road in Sinnamon Park (basically follow the bike path to the Brisbane River, then follow the river east). Pushed hard along the river and the bike path to Sinnamon Road to put some time in the bank before the tough climbs to Dandenong Road and Sumner Road. Managed to knock over 12.87k in 58:47, 4:34 pace according to the Garmin.

Pretty hard work coming home but just kept pushing. Funny how old memories return. Had some level of low grade pain in the hip on the way out, but it seemed to abate going up the hill. Bit hobbly now, but nothing unusual.

I'm currently having a think about medium to long term goals, and putting together some ideas about a running regimen, and how to fit cycling in around it. I'm convinced the long cycling rides have helped me retain endurance and some leg speed, and during this seeming return phase I would definitely like to keep it in there as it helps with both fitness and weight loss, and, I think, some injury prevention as it provides those benefits whilst not impacting too severely on the running muscles and back. Not to mention the social aspects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home