Sunday, October 31, 2004

Mid-Week Maladies, Petulance, and Redemption

Well, I've been bad and not posted for a week. Basically, after falling ill and not running on Wednesday, I had a big tantie and haven't posted for a few days. Read on...

Monday
After the misery of the STaR, I got out of bed, and managed to push out a fairly uninspired 10.27km in 50:25. As is always the case with these recovery runs, I started out feeling like complete junk, and from about 6km onwards felt okay, legwise. I felt pretty smashed up all day, though - very tired, and even more irritable than usual.

Tuesday
Got up not feeling particularly flash, but managed to drag myself to Rotary Field f0r 15 minutes of 30 on/30 off, after the compulsory 3 lap warm up. I concentrated hard on my stride, feeling I was reaching out in front. From about the fourth rep it was apparent that not all was right with the world, and after the eighth rep I had a huge dizzy spell that necessitated a little sit down. I jogged out a couple more laps to see if I'd feel any better, but didn't, although the dizziness passed. I gingerly got the car home, but felt progressively worse and elected to take the day off work.

Wednesday
Woke up with a massive headache, called in sick, and went back to mid until late morning. Visited the doctor in the afternoon, who suggested that I had most probably had a stomach virus on Sunday, and that perhaps continuing to run with it wasn't terribly smart. Explaining to him that I simply thought I might have been hungover did not elicit much sympathy. I felt better in the afternoon, so to be frank the visit to the doctor was pretty well to obtain a medical certificate.

Thursday
Awoke feeling better, and managed to keep my promise to get to Rotary Field and accompany Mister G. I simply circulated, gradually increasing the speed as I became comfortable with the fact that I was not going to have another dizzy spell as the heart rate increased. Managed about 6km in around 29 minutes, and was starting to feel better about things.

Friday
I wasn't getting up, and that's all there was to it.

Saturday
The prospect of getting to the Bay Run was all too much, and given Sunday's plan to run the Six Foot Track, I thought a simple 'system check' jog would be plenty - 5.4k m in 26m20s around my local area. Again, once the blood was moving, the legs felt pretty good.

Sunday
I ventured to Six Foot Track with Mister G and Spud, meeting up with Meaghan along the way. I'll post separately on this, but it was 45km in 5h34m17s, not counting the stoppages, which I think took it to about 6h05m. Photos will also follow for this training run.

Summary
For a week that basically fell in a heap on Tuesday, it actually panned out pretty well. I really enjoyed getting running the Six Foot Track with the lads on Sunday, and ended things on a positive note. It was about 71km for the week, given me my highest monthly total ever of 394km. Would have been nice to crack 400km, but it just gives me a target for next month. I'm feeling much stronger at the moment, which was borne out with the relative ease I got through today. Sunday represents the longest I've ever been on my feet, and the longest distance covered. New ground!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home